Monday, July 27, 2009

Let Me Serenade You

When I've been out in our backyard lately, a little song sparrow has been sitting in one of our leeland trees singing. If he's not there when I get outside, he appears while I'm there. When I hear him singing, I think about the Three Dog Night Song, Let Me Serenade You. It may be the only time I evere get a serenade, but it happens quite a few times a week!

I also saw him foraging on the ground underneath our cedar trees. He was protective of "his" territory and ran a couple of house finches off. I haven't seen him at the feeders off the kitchen window very much, but I'd like to get a better picture!








When I was watching the song sparrow, I also caught a glimpse of the female cardinal that visits our yard. Last year, we had three juvenile cardinals eating from the feeders off the kitchen, but, the year, we rarely see more than one cardinal at the feeder at a time. I'd love to see more of them. The female is very shy and flies off as soon as she even thinks she hears us. She is one of the prettiest birds I see in the yard. The picture below is what I see of her most.


2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog, P. - You do what I would love to do many days! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Diane. You would be suprised what I do on a "normal" day. I watch the birds when I get a chance here and there. Mostly, my girls keep me very busy! The birds are such a nice change of pace! ~Paula

    ReplyDelete